For over a century, International Women’s Day, held on 8th of March every year, has marked a day of celebration and advocacy for women’s rights and equality around the world.
International Women’s Day is a time to reflect on the progress made, call for change and also to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women around the world who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities.
In this blog post, we share excellent ways on how you can celebrate International Women’s Day this year and do your part to advocate for gender equality.
1. #ChooseToChallenge and show your support on social media: The year’s official International Women’s Day theme for 2021 is #ChooseToChallenge. It is a call-to-action to challenge the status quo by raising awareness against bias, celebrating women’s achievement and taking action for equality. One simple, yet impactful way to celebrate International Women’s Day this year is to show your commitment to challenging inequality by taking part in the #ChooseToChallenge social media campaign. Take a photo of yourself raising your hand high and share it on your preferred social media platform(s) using #ChooseToChallenge and #IWD2021.
2. Involve men in the conversation and celebration: Oftentimes, most International Women’s Day are targeted at women. However, it is essential that people of all gender are involved in the conversation and become equal advocates for gender parity.
3. Advocate for gender equality in your workplace: To ensure that women continue to progress toward gender equality at work, it’s essential that businesses create inclusive working environments. This International Women’s Day, examine your company’s policies and/or challenge your business leaders to ensure that women receive fair and equitable support at work.
4. Start a book club with friends and colleagues: Understanding some of the challenges faced by women around the world is an important step in advocating for gender equality. To celebrate International Women’s Day this year, consider starting a book club with your team or folks in your community that focuses on educating on women’s issues, empowerment, and achievements.
5. Support Women-owned businesses: Supporting businesses that are owned, operated, and controlled by a woman or women helps contribute to equal economic empowerment, representative products and services, and a more prosperous economy overall.
6. Acknowledge the awesome women in your life: Sometimes, simple words of encouragement and love can go a long way in lifting someone up and inspiring them to keep going. Whether it’s your mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, girlfriend, or friend, send a text, or call an important woman in your life to let them know how awesome they are.
HAPPY INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY!!!